Friday, October 10, 2014

Billy and Jenelle's Excellent Adventure: Day 2

Day two started at about 10:00. Our drive to Oklahoma City was set to take about 8 hours. After the 12 plus hours we spent driving on the first day we thought we deserved to sleep in a bit. After a little bit of packing, and a yummy continental breakfast we were all set and ready to go. Of course, we needed to stop at Wal-Mart (again) to replace our dysfunctional walkie talkies. I didn't mind though, because it gave me a chance to refill on snacks! Once our walkie talkies were in tow we were ready to go!
Ready for day 2!! 


Our only planned stop for this day was in Amarillo, Texas. Home of The Big Texan where the 72 oz. steak challenge lives. Of course.. we didn't actually plan on eating this massive steak, but we sure were going to make sure we ate there to see what all the fuss was about. That, and the possibility of seeing SOMEONE attempt this insane challenge was also somewhat enticing as well. This was also day two of being in 3 states in one day. When discovered, I thought this fact about our trip was pretty neat!!! Day 1: California, Arizona, New Mexico. Day 2: New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma. 

I must admit... driving in my car, by myself, across the country was NOT something I was looking forward to. Don't get me wrong, I am a HUGE fan of road trips, but a road trip where each person is in a different car was not really my idea of exciting. However, I was pleasantly surprised at how fast the time went, and how comfortable I became in my new "home." It was almost soothing. I had so much on my mind in the weeks leading up to our move, not to mention the emotional roller coaster ride I rode on the day we actually left, that it I found this time alone extremely therapeutic! I was able to listen to calm or hyper tunes depending on my mood, and I also had time to reflect and think about the major life change that I was currently embarking on. Of course, the walkie talkie's also helped :)

Driving into Texas from New Mexico was a trip! I had never been to New Mexico before, but I was surprised by its beauty, well the little of it that I was able to see anyways! However, once that boarder was crossed I could immediately tell I was in another state. The scenery went from beautiful, colorful desert rocks, and wide open endless sky to a desolate desert complete with tumbleweeds. It seriously felt like I had just stepped into a western movie. *cue The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly Western Theme Music*





Arriving at The Big Texan was much more interesting and exciting that I could have imagined. Although, they do say everything's bigger in Texas, so I guess I should have been prepared for big! However, what I got was not only a restaurant... It was a restaurant, a hotel, a limo service (complete with longhorn horns on the hood), a mini theme park, and a general store! Inside, the decor and the ambiance was as to be expected, just as "big" as I had noticed from the outside. I didn't care! I was in Texas, and I was a tourist! I was allowed to embrace the tourist trap attractions! Unfortunately... The Big Texan was just that... a tourist trap. I had a great time taking photos, and acting silly. But my lunch was mediocre if that. The steak was so heavily seasoned that the flavor was terrible. The side dishes only added to the overly dramatic flavor of the steak. Did I still eat over half of my meal... of course I did! LOL, I was hungry, and I love food too much, even bad food.... to let that much of it go to waste :) Also, I think I was still on a high from the over the top everything that this restaurant had to offer, that at that point, I didn't even care!

We Made It!!! 
Ready to eat at The Big Texan! 
Side of the building, I'm Ready! 
Almost the front.
Ready for FOOD!!!
Big Cow Outside

My 24oz. Steak with backed potato, and Man n Cheese. 

Enjoying our food

Everything's Bigger in Texas
Playing in the arcade



















Our 8 hour trip would have landed us at our hotel in Oklahoma City at about 6:00.... between 8:00 and 9:00 if you account the time spent getting gas, and eating at The Big Texan. However.... we arrived at our hotel at about midnight, again. All of us more tired and exhausted than the day before. The exit for our hotel was closed due to construction, and when we got off at the next exit it was almost impossible to find where we were going. We ended up driving around for what felt like an extra 2 hours, but what was actually probably only 30 minutes. During this time of endless U-turns and backtracking, a police officer caught on to our mysterious driving habits and decided that Billy was the right person to tail for a few miles before ultimately deciding that we were harmless. At about 1:00, we were settled in bed, and ready for a good nights sleep, because the next day would be another 11 hour drive not including any stops. Day two of our adventure was officially over, and we were that much closer to our new beginning in North Carolina.



2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of road trips, but can't stand to drive long distances because I get to antsy. Reading about your adventure is enough for me :) so glad that everything is going smoothly for you all so far! Keep the updates coming

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryn!!! I am so happy you enjoy reading it :) Hope everything is going well with you!

      Delete